How safe are the attractants to use?

When handled properly, the attractants are all safe to use.

However, all are potentially toxic and/or inflammable when not used with due precautions.

The following general precautions should be observed when handling the attractants.

  • Store in a cool, well-ventilated place away from direct sunlight.
  • Store away from unauthorised users, particularly children.
  • Store attractants in proper containers that are clearly labelled. Avoid using old food or drink containers, e.g. Coke bottles, that could encourage unauthorised users to drink or eat the contents.
  • Wear protective overall, gloves and eye protection when handling the attractants, particularly when using large quantities. These will provide protection against any toxic or corrosive effects. It should also be noted that octenol and phenols have rather unpleasant and particularly "clinging" odours and you may find your friends avoiding you if your everyday clothes get contaminated.
  • Never eat, drink or smoke while working with attractants.

A summary of the main hazards for each of the attractants is in the table below. 

Chemical Safety Information Precautions  
Carbon dioxide Carbon dixoide is an odourless, non-inflammable gas. At high concentrations it can cause hyperventilation and asphyxiation. Avoid use in enclosed spaces where the concentration could build up.  
Acetone Acetone is a volatile (bp 56ºC), highly inflammable liquid. Being so volatile, high concentrations of the vapour can easily occur and these can be suffocating as well as being easily ignited. Acetone is a good solvent, dissolving paint and attacking some plastics, and potentially penetrating the skin. It is miscible with water and organic solvents, and hence can be easily diluted with water in case of accidents.

Store in strong, well-sealed containers, and take care when opening these in case of pressure build-up.

Avoid contact with skin.

Dilute with water in case of accidents.